cat-users - [[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android

[[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm AT noc.grnet.gr>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:25:06 +0300

Hi,

after receiving a number of reports which all had in common that the Android app would somehow not open profiles when the Greek locale was active (downloaded either in the app or in the browser), I reproduced the problem and traced it to an un-handled exception in CAT-Android, which I reported:
https://github.com/GEANT/CAT-Android/issues/5

This is triggered by CAT furnishing an XML profile where ProviderLocation coordinates have been localized.
This is an example of such a profile:
https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&lang=el&id=android_lollipop&profile=2811

However this behavior in CAT does not manifest when it serves just about any XML profile requested with lang=el. For example when requesting GRNET's profile the decimal separator in the coordinates is a FULL STOP:

-> curl -s 'https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&lang=el&id=android_lollipop&profile=2208' | \
xmlstarlet sel -t -c '//ProviderLocation' | \
xmlstarlet fo
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ProviderLocation xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
<Longitude>23.761915499999986</Longitude>
<Latitude>37.9874917</Latitude>
</ProviderLocation>

The only difference I can think of is that former profiles were created via the Admin API, while in the latter case the location had been set through the CAT Admin UI. In the former case the API calls contained such parameters:

option[S123]=general:geo_coordinates
value[S123-1]=a:2:{s:3:"lon";d:21.4143;s:3:"lat";d:38.6321;}

But such a "difference" triggering different behavior from CAT does not make much sense, I think.

Users of 31 institutions are affected by this and can not use CAT-Android without special instructions to switch their locale to English; resetting the location via the admin UI might also remediate the problem.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Z.