cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android

Re: [[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm AT noc.grnet.gr>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] localized coordinates in EAP-Metadata affecting CAT-Android
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:33:52 +0300

Hi Stefan,

CAT UI POSTs parameters geo_long, geo_lat. Unless this part of the code is different on cat.eduroam.org, these are apparently serialized as strings in postProcessCoordinates():

https://github.com/GEANT/CAT/blob/master/web/admin/inc/option_parse.inc.php#L87

valid_coordinate() sanity-checks if these values are "a number or a numeric string".

The API on the other hand accepts: a PHP-style serialised array of two *numbers* "lat" and "lon".

I did a check using the one (user) API method that exposes such data:

-> curl -s 'https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=listAllIdentityProviders&lang=el' | \
jq '[.[] | .geo[]? | map(type) | .[] ] | group_by((.)) | .[] | {type: .[0], count: length}'
{
"type": "number",
"count": 62
}
{
"type": "string",
"count": 4164
}

Guess which 31 institutions these pairs of lat, lon numbers correspond to :)

I think the issue is string vs. number and not the decimal separator (I am rather certain we never sent comma anyway). As you note here[1] CAT should avoid locale-aware number formatting, where necessary. In the case of generating an XML profile, I believe it should suffice to use sprintf('%.7F', <unserialized_number>).

[1] https://github.com/GEANT/CAT/issues/17

As for the particular 31 institutions, I could work-around the issue by re-provisioning to CAT while reformatting general:geo_coordinates for serializing strings rather than numbers. Or you could likewise update the database directly.
Thinking about it, the work-around involves more clicks (cumulatively) than using the CAT UI to achieve the same result, so I guess that is also an option.
If the database update as a short term work-around is an option, I suppose we'd much rather prefer that.

Thanks,
Z.