cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Impossible to download Windows client

Re: [cat-users] Impossible to download Windows client

  • From: Michele de Varda <michele.devarda AT unimi.it>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Cc: "eduroam AT unimi.it" <eduroam AT unimi.it>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Impossible to download Windows client
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 15:03:08 +0200

Dear Stefan,

thank you again for your great support.

On 08/07/2015 12:52 PM, Stefan Winter wrote:
Hi,

follow-up: I found both PEMs on the net. I attach them both for convenience.
From what VeriSigns website tells me, it seems like the "G5 root"
variant exists since 2010. Before that, it was an intermediate to the
"Primary" CA.

When configuring you need to be consistent:

EITHER: define the G5 root variant as the root, and *don't* send the
intermediate variant during EAP. This is utterly confusing to the client.
In this case have I to modify the RADIUS certificate putting only
server cert +
intermediate with only Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4?

On CAT side have I to put only G5 root?

OR: define the "Primary CA" as the root, and include the G5 intermediate
variant in CAT config and EAP. Do not send the G5 root variant in the
EAP conversation then.
I put the "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority" root certificate on cat configuration (see attached file CAT_certificate_not_working.jpg).
Android seems to work but in the Wi-Fi config I see "certificate not specified", Windows 7 doesn't work and when I run cat conf tool I see a message that I have never seen with the old confs (see CAT_message.jpg).
In this case I didn't touch the RADIUS server certificate.

(in both cases, of course continue to send the G4 intermediate)

This is mostly a mess on VeriSign's side - but you need to be cautious,
too. "More helps more" does not apply to PKI certificates. You need to
send a consistent message. Superfluous items are okay (for most client
devices), but *conflicting ones* are not.
You are right, I hope to not have conflicting items :-)

Thanks a lot,

Michele