cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Unicode support in Windows installers

Re: [cat-users] Unicode support in Windows installers

  • From: Deyan Stoykov <dstoykov AT uni-ruse.bg>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>, CAT-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Unicode support in Windows installers
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:18:26 +0300

On 7.10.2014 г. 19:33, Tomasz Wolniewicz wrote:
Hi Deyan,
This problem comes from the non-utf version of NSIS distributed for
Linux. However the problem should not be too severe, as the Terms of
use should be converted to a proper Windows code page and correctly
displayed in a localised version of Windows.
If you use a German version of CAT on a Bulgarian version of Windows
then you can have problems, but we assume that in the typical case, the
user will choose a language best suited for him and normally the
operating system language and the CAT language version will match.

You are correct. However, its the "Language for non-Unicode programs" (system locale) setting that matters, not necessarily the OS language/localization. When I changed it to German, the non-ASCII characters were correctly displayed.

I suppose your problem comes from the fact that we do not have Bulgarian
language in CAT yet, therefore you are not able to set Bulgarian as a
CAT language and in consequence the charset converter cannot do it's job.

If you like, tomorrow I can set Bulgarian support on
cat-test.eduroam.org (even without any translations) and you should be
able to confirm that things work fine.

Yes, please do, that would be great.

Best regards,
Deyan