cat-users - [cat-users] Automatic fetch of CAT tools for our institution?

[cat-users] Automatic fetch of CAT tools for our institution?

  • From: Steve Bohrer <skbohrer AT simons-rock.edu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-users] Automatic fetch of CAT tools for our institution?
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 18:56:17 -0400

Is it possible to automatically download versions of CAT for our institution
for various OSes? Or is the preferred use that we have all our users directly
connect to the cat.eduroam.org page?

Currently, we have a local “instructions-for-eduroam” SSID for our new users
before they’ve managed to connect, and this SSID does not allow them general
internet access. Instead, our instructions site has local copies of the CAT
tools for our institution that we’ve downloaded from cat.eduroam.org for each
supported OS.

This works, but, updating these local copies from your site is a manual
process, as I can’t figure how to get a basic URL for each of a list of CATs,
so that I could have our server fetch them from a cron job. Also, the release
number of CAT 1.0.4 does not seem to change, but generally (every month or
so) when I download copies with my browser to check, they test as different
from our existing versions, though it is not clear when they changed.

It would be handy for us if there was a way to generate a URL to fetch each
version of our CATs.

Alternatively, it would be handy if there was some valid “last revised” date
for the tools, so that we could monitor that, and update when you make
changes.

Or, if you’d really prefer that our users go directly to your page, please
let me know that as well. (I realize that this would be beneficial for any
eduroam guest users who had not previously connected at their home
institution, but I don’t know that there are many of these visiting us.)

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin, ITS
Bard College at Simon's Rock
413-528-7645