cat-users - Re: [cat-users] FW: CAT

Re: [cat-users] FW: CAT

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] FW: CAT
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 13:39:16 +0100

there are a number of things we could do, but I think there are serious disadvantages in doing so.
The main is that users will always need to configure some devices which are not handled by CAT and there they will need to remember to add the realm. Also, sometimes things get broken, home server may be down and a proxy may send an Access-Reject, and then the supplicant may prompt the user for the username and then forget what it had stored before. If the user expects to put in just the user part, then things will not work.
Even worse, some IdPs may accept usernames without realms and treat them as local, such users will be accepted at home but as soon as they travel they will get rejected.

To summarise, I think that educating users is better, but if the community insists then we can think of what options we could have.

Tomasz