cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Porblem with eduroam

Re: [cat-users] Porblem with eduroam

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: José Manuel Macías <jmanuel.macias AT rediris.es>, Alex Sharaz <alex.sharaz AT york.ac.uk>, "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Porblem with eduroam
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:22:58 +0200

Hi,

> This was discussed in the list one month ago or so... if things haven't
> changed in this time (ie: if Apple did not fixed it) and I'm not
> mistaken, this message by Stefan is a very good summary:

The summary below was (probably, need more data) too drastic: it does
not seem to affect any CA with an intermediate, but just one specific
intermediate CA cert; unluckily, it's one of those in the TCS chain.

The reason seems to be that this certificate used to be a root cert of
its own a long time ago, then got re-issued as an intermediate of
another CA. OSes removed the now-defunct "root" CA from their cert store
and the world was in order.

Enter iOS 7, which erroneously re-added the cert as an intermediate.
Which leads to conflicting information if the same Subject CA comes
along but presents itself as an intermediate instead. Installing that CA
in the store seems to overwrite the wrong default.

So, if you're NOT using TERENA TCS / a.k.a. "Janet Certificate Service"
in the UK, then you probably don't have any issue at all.

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche