cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Design advice: featured download for detected platform

Re: [cat-users] Design advice: featured download for detected platform

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Design advice: featured download for detected platform
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:33:52 +0200

I have added TTLS-GTC whish is NOT supported by us on Windows, so that you can see the grey version also on newer Windows,
Tomasz

W dniu 2013-08-26 08:24, Stefan Winter pisze:
Hello,

as you may recall, one of our planned features for 1.1 is to detect the
user's platform, and make "his" download much more prominent than the
others, to reduce the error rate if people don't know which operating
system they are using.

This is now implemented and seems to work nicely.

We are still seeking input on the visuals though. There are two basic
questions

a) only show the featured download, making the others an extra click
away - vs. showing all, just make the featured one bigger / more flashy

b) What to do if the platform is recognised, but the EAP type is not
offered by CAT? Display the button as prominent as usual, but greyed out
- vs. show all download buttons equally as in previous releases
(including the one, grey as usual)?

A third question, "What if the user comes from a totally unsupported
platform?" is one we answered with: just show all buttons in equal size
as before; there is nothing else particularly clever that we could do.
Hope that's okay.

The current design uses the a) "hide the others" and b) "show a big grey
button" approaches.

Please let us know how you feel about this. To see both in action,
browse to the following IdP download with either Linux, Mac OS or
Windows XP.

http://cat.eduroam.pl/trunk/?idp=1

Then:

- the profile "TTLS" will give you the blue featured download button
- the profile "PWD" will give you the grey featured non-download button

If you use Windows > XP, then both cases will yield the download button;
so you can't see the effect of disabled buttons.

Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576