cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Wired eduroam

Re: [cat-users] Wired eduroam

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Petr Adamec <Petr.Adamec AT tul.cz>
  • Cc: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Wired eduroam
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:38:17 +0200

> in dormitories we are using "wired eduroam (802.1x over ethernet)" is it
> possible to configure it with this great tool?

We already have a feature request to do this in version 1.1. I am pretty
sure though that support for this will be (very) mixed. We have to rely
on operating systems' ability to remote-configure ethernet interfaces,
which is a lot more uncommon than wireless interfaces.

In Windows, this is probably doable with "netsh" scripting. On Mac, I'm
rather sure that only wireless interfaces can be covered, even if there
are still legacy Macs out there which still have a wired interface (I'm
an "Air" fanboy :-) ).

On Linux, I guess it might be possible; wpa_supplicant can be used on
wired, so probably its configuration interface (D-Bus) also lets it be
configured, but this would need some head-scratching I believe.

In short, right now the answer to your question is "no, not right now".

If you feel like contributing code to make this work... you know... it's
an open-source project :-) Feel free :-)

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche