cat-users - Re: [cat-users] iphone problem

Re: [cat-users] iphone problem

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Judy <jangel93a AT googlemail.com>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, "Angel, Judy" <admyet4 AT herts.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] iphone problem
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:04:25 +0200

> We use PAP-TTLS as we authenticate against a unix password file.
> Unfortunately PEAP did not work.
> iPad and iPhone does not work and vast majority of students use have these
> devices.

Looking at the thread, I see that you reported OS X Lion+ to work
without problems.

That's "funny" because the OS X Lion download and iOS download are the
identical file; they only have two different buttons on the download
interface because people are looking for device classes usually, and a
button with an abstract notion of "anythinig Apple" looked less
intuitive than mentioning the exact device class.

So if the OS X Lion+ installer works, I'm reasonably confident that the
profile as generated by CAT is in good working order.

Since Scott mentioned that their CloudPath installer has the same issue,
I'm really tempted to think that this is an iOS bug - in that it can't
do TTLS-PAP properly - much more than an eduroam CAT problem.

Since you can't move away from TTLS-PAP, I'm sort of lost in things to
suggest. There is one thing maybe: you could try to generate an iOS
profile "by hand"; i.e. download Apple's "iPhone Configuration Utility",
click together the settings as they apply to your IdP and see if the
resulting profile works better with the iOS devices.

I'm guessing it won't, and then it's clearly an iOS bug. If it does work
better however, please send the profile over to me so I can inspect it
for differences to what CAT generates.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche