rare-users - Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] ietf and ripe presentations

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] ietf and ripe presentations

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To: mc36 <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] ietf and ripe presentations
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 14:50:07 +0100

Hey Csaba,

> today morning ripe confirmed a 30m slot on ripe82! so please find
> attached the slightly updated ietf, and brand new ripe
> presentations... [...]

that looks great!

Few small items about the IETF slideset:

* Maybe a few words on what GEANT (the project) is before starting with
"WP6-T1 sub-task..."?

* On the "targets" slide, "Tofino" is almost invisible next to the bold
"NPU". And I wouldn't call the Tofino an NPU (well, technically it's
easy to say it *is* an NPU, but the P4 community avoids that term,
probably because NPUs have gotten something of a bad name in the past.
I would probably just write "Intel/Barefoot Tofino on Wedge ..." or
maybe "...Tofino switching silicon on ..."

"Key take-way" -> "Key take-away"

In my experience, what an IETF WG really wants to hear from implementers
of a new protocol is which implementation obstacles you found and how
you surmounted them. So you may want to expand on the "ECMP pitfall"
item.

(Of course they will also appreciate feedback of the form "I found the
BIER standard very readable and was able to implement everything just
from reading the text. But in general the IETF culture is based more on
constructive criticism than on positive encouragement, for better or
worse :-)

Anyway, those are two great fora to present this work to. I'm sure this
will be well received, and hopefully we'll get useful feedback and maybe
grow the community.

Cheers,
--
Simon.