rare-users - Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] barefoot results

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] barefoot results

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , Frédéric LOUI <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] barefoot results
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 06:25:39 +0200

hi,

On 8/28/20 6:48 PM, Frédéric LOUI wrote:
Hi

Great !
My KVM_ONIE VM was not useless after all :)
absolutely!!!

So this is nice, because that we can have a dynamic feature set in a list for
that I can integrate in the RARE WIKI.
the newer ones are 'nicer', you'll see... :)

By dynamic, I mean that in a CI way:

* each commits
* adding new features
* will trigger test against TNA (bf_switchd) platform
* these test results reflect the features list and their status. (RFS or not )
external ci tools would go crazy with this: it takes 2 hours to run on the
current
p4 feature list, requires a lot of cpu, ram and diskio because of the qemu
instances
continously spawned and stopped, and the most critical, requires the image(s)
to be
present in the ci environment, and surely the execution of my tester, since
i've
not aware of any other automatic testing solution that does anything similar
this... :)

Note that due to the use case nature, there will be some RARE/freeRouter
profile (SDM)
For example, we have SDM=MPLS, SDM=SRv6

In some cases having GRE or NAT at 100GE makes no senses, some we will have
more SDM.

i.e All the features that boast BMv2 cannot enter into TOFINO. BMv2 has
virtually no memory/resources constraints which is not the case for TOFINO.
So we will end up in various SDM profiles for TNA architecture having a
subset of features of the whole feature set that BMv2/P4DPDK has.
to be honest, nat is straightforward since it's just another control executed
at the right place,
and all the infra needed for it is the acls, and that's already there so i
modularized bridging
in the bfswd code like we modularized mpls and srv6 to have some stages so
yess, i'm planning to
add nat as an option soon...
also introduced features in my auto-tester by the way we discussed yesterday
that is, images now
describe which features they provide and test cases describe which features
they require and a
test is onyl started if requirements meets provided features... it's a huge
speedup for my runs
on bfswd butt opens up the possibility for me to have more images for a test
set and the tester
be able to sselect one that believed to be albe to execute it successfully...
as soon as i'll
get to the nat on bfswd part, it'll happen...

regarding the rest of these features introduced recently, they fall on three
categories: the
first one that depends on the recirculation, which started with hairpin and
believed that we have
in tofino so since i have now a convenient development environment for bfswd,
will give it a try...
the second part are simply a kind of nexthop, for example gre, pppoe and l2tp
(and vxlan will be
the same!) so surely seems easy-peasy... the third category is the mix of the
two above.... :)

regards,
cs

Thanks for this excellent job Csaba !