rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] netconf

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] netconf

  • From: David Schmitz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] netconf
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:42:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023, mc36 wrote:

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:52:03 +0100
From: mc36 <>
To: David Schmitz <>

hi,

On 2/14/23 14:20, David Schmitz wrote:
That basically works.
When using yangcli as client, I can see all the nicely formatted XML
lines of the rpc-reply in the freertr debug.
Nevertheless yangcli has a problem to parse the output,
which is still not clear to me why.

But it seems the "format" option somehow breaks the communication with ncclient library.
Somehow ncclient is not getting an answer back from freertr
and also freertr is showing in debug that it does not even receives an
rpc-request.

interesting to hear this...
so this "format" parameter according to my ide's "show usages" exclusively mentioned here:
https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr/blob/master/src/net/freertr/user/userNetconf.java#L457
what you see here is to collapse to a single line response or to place line breaks between the
elements... hard to believe that ncclient cannot deal with multi-line replies?
It seems to be exactly like that.

I have now provided a simple Dockerfile to setup standalone NETCONF get-config script using
FoD/ncclient library to hide all the init steps necessary.

On the newest commit of branch testing/freertr1 in FoD github repo:
https://github.com/GEANT/FOD/blob/testing/freertr1/Dockerfiles.d/Dockerfile.fod_netconf_get

To use it, just run (from top level dir of the checkout):

docker build -f vnet_router/rtr/Dockerfile.fod_netconf_get -t netconfget1 . docker run -ti -e=NETCONF_HOST=10.10.10.10 -e NETCONF_PORT=830 -e NETCONF_USER=netconf -e NETCONF_PASS=netconf netconfget1
# replace values of NETCONF_* as appropriate

So, can easily test the strange behavior of ncclient yourself.

Best Regards
David

br,
cs