rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] how to activate netconf

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] how to activate netconf

  • From: David Schmitz <>
  • To: mc36 <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] how to activate netconf
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:56:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023, mc36 wrote:

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:37:06 +0100
From: mc36 <>
To: David Schmitz <>,
"" <>

On 1/31/23 09:12, David Schmitz wrote:

you can access files.nop.hu afterwards with these...
cisco/virt/xr, cisco/virt/xe/c8000-* and inet/junos/vsrx3-*,vmx-*,crpd-* are the other interesting platforms...
imho too much to support each one by one with all the versions via netconf, but just my 2 cents... :)
Thanks for the information. I will check it.

FoD has some configuration cabapility in order to adapt to different
YANG schemas.
But I am not sure whether it is enough to support all cases.

So, thanks for the other platform-specific examples.

so there are very different router designs that cannot be common, just the interface, but
then netconf comes to be compared to plain ssh/telnet and some cli magic tools over it...

just think about the simplest and most common use case like route manipulation:
ios xr offers you a whole programming language alike thing called rpl...
ios xe and junos have a much simpler approach with a match/action list....
freerouter have both route-policy(language) and route-map... :)
so at this point it must be clear that you cannot have a common interface as you have to express your desire very differently...

this is a very prominent example but well displays the scope of the issues and why netconf is not universal and cannot be...
so if you decide to originate with it, be prepared to handle the per platform per version differences... :)
Of course, the internal mitigation features and their specification on the routers and how they are mapped to FlowSpec are another complication among different platforms.

Thanks for that as well.

Best Regards
David

br,