rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] perfSONAR on RARE/FreeRtr

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] perfSONAR on RARE/FreeRtr

  • From: Tim Chown <>
  • To: Frédéric LOUI <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Xavier Jeannin <>, Tomasz Szewczyk <>, Ivana Golub <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] perfSONAR on RARE/FreeRtr
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:44:23 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=jisc.ac.uk; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=jisc.ac.uk; dkim=pass header.d=jisc.ac.uk; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=Tm/iTMQ0vg0n433O4ZzKCF48c8xu+t/UEo8IGxGzBUU=; b=Imiq5y+LhuiWpHVH7xZ3SpVuBLvwq71TCkfdrv+pLDTNJs2RxEiMi6cajDguC2YvD7mCQiYFzgBKA3E+L27EFBQ4MEvOAUlEIOAMPCikQRnRpa7iGWq9GvTGvkf8YPD0G6sB9FoEyKuagkEWKxikDNP1jXk5pLHl91wz+SkzRE+T7kqUuR/5P/IaChDVdU2n8THCsnAx3174l7Kap1JutdaNVKikxJDJFwh2T8WD34+DJO4A1mGwi5yIcKsNu9Bi5nwpL0JXn94Ld5MEdh6zYWCCt9V2ALriMLDxB2MWpJtpY/CL/Lo/Sqpi2EJs32F1BLMQYu23ear2IbUuaaGi9Q==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=h14eaJ/Ef/zlzJJ9tMP57G9RYoDS8GS0foQsxPUrya20Vn/WFQvB5FKX6LHEIctL33Ou+UPXhO4Gvp99HZR/Y1p0ph8e3KPGgA8khgJbWdP5Xi9hdQ0X1f6UlEwwG2GVqyUAsKOJo8h1yfLLwVsiWsJTY5lsMfBolrOqKQm8oRJ9NZQy93JfNVJQILmVktVi52FSoAmILcudZGdJB7/OCn8pg7peERk5NRKiiyETTJ2eT42YIGw2WzmkO8+smsVL4CX9gaI0X/SVU/RxhImKxYnzBjRcnVinYVbgqd54omMdvwaavb6efWL0lIzFDBdNp3fk0TdG11oaWgMJaeG7Dg==

Hi Frederic,

It’s an interesting idea, but there are I think some challenges to it,
including:

1. There is no multicast support in LoLa (sender or receiver), or at least
the word does not appear in the manual -
https://lola.conts.it/downloads/Lola_Manual_2.0.0_rev_001.pdf.
2. It is a Windows-only application, and while it is free to R&E users there
is no source code to inspect. The playback is non standard, just some form
of UDP encoding, no use of RTP. I don’t think for example VLC would be able
to play it.

My interest was more in whether we can gather latency and jitter measurement
data using Timemap on the GP4L; that can be useful both for validating the
TimeMap model but also supporting any real-time applications we might run.

Tim