rare-dev - [rare-dev] Fwd: Ping me Csaba if that's your current email ...

Subject: Rare project developers

[rare-dev] Fwd: Ping me Csaba if that's your current email ...

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [rare-dev] Fwd: Ping me Csaba if that's your current email ...
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:30:05 +0200

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Ping me Csaba if that's your current email ...
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 08:11:26 +0200
From: mc36 <>
To: Kaliraj Vairavakkalai <>, Tamas Mondal
<>, Krzysztof Szarkowicz <>
CC: Antoni Przygienda <>, Natrajan Venkataraman <>,
Reshma Das <>

hi,

On 8/22/22 23:37, Kaliraj Vairavakkalai wrote:
(Restating the topology with fixed-width font, for readability:)

as1 as2 as3

pe----p----asbr1 asbr4----p-----pe
| | | \ / | | |
| | | asbr3 | | |
| | | / \ | | |
pe----p----asbr2 asbr5----p-----pe

here as1 will be fully junos zone, as2 will be a single freerouter consisting
of asbr3, and as3 will be fully junos zone again...
(it's a bgp-lu for now, and geant provides rr for the vpns but it could be
bgp-ct and without any rr to simplify things -- or if you wish, asbr3
can be an vpn rr with next-hop-unchanged and so on...)

That s nice to know. Given this MD-VPN topology is a practical real world
deployment

scenario today, yes this will work for demo.

imho you also know other examples, and i also remember some, but this one is
public and heavily used,
and geant runs junos but for example kifu on the list is a cisco shop so you
two really should agree
upon on a common afi to not ruin the game... :)

Having VPN RR with nexthop-unchanged will be good. As its more
practical than having

full bgp mesh across these nren ASes.

sure thing, i'll add a new process for that on asbr3...

True - ASBR3 does not need to implement the resolution part of the draft for
this scenario.

Given this is a practical scenario, we can indeed demo this. It provides
complete functionality

of preserving inter-domain SLA for the MD-VPN solution, and demonstrates
bgp-ct on the wire interop.

okk, then let's do this... what is your preference, should i host the vms and
provide you access to them
or you feel more convenient if you run it in your infra? imho for that latter
i wont need any access because
the asbr3 config is really simple, and if it still misses a bit here or
there, we can have a quick vc?

But, personally I would really like to be able to help you to complete the
bgp-ct resolution part

of support also on freertr such that it can play SN and BN roles in as1 and
as3. That is not for

this ietf demo, but for your practical deployment in real-world usage.

i cannot express how much i appreciate the repeated offer of your help!
well, i changed my mind about the topology because after checked what i
have, i realized that i even does not announce nor calculate the flexalgo
part of nor isis nor ospf... and, doing so is about a day of work but
reminded me the real reason: the e-lsa in ospf3 seems to be completely
missing everywhere? but without that, i have to comment out half of the
the colorful ospf interops... (i have it already for rsvp6-te but when
i turn it on just with the hostname of the e-router-info, we lose the
ospfv3 database for a while:)

thanks,
cs

Thanks