rare-dev - [rare-dev] Almost ready for the first RARE release

Subject: Rare project developers

[rare-dev] Almost ready for the first RARE release

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [rare-dev] Almost ready for the first RARE release
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:36:36 +0200

Folks, I think we are getting very close to having all features for a
nice user experience for installing and maintaining RARE on Tofino
devices. Thanks to the latest changes by csaba we could integrate the
Nix-based release management into the freerouter CLI, see my previous
messages to the list.

It would be great if people could play a bit with all of the new "tna"
aliases that interface with the release-manager to see if it all holds
water and report any problems or suggestions to me. If you have a
running Nix-based installation, you can get the most recent version by
running

# release-manager --install-git origin/master --auto-switch

This will *not* overwrite an existing /etc/freertr/rtr-sw.txt file.
To get the new "tna-*" aliases, you'll have to copy them from
/nix/var/nix/profiles/RARE/etc/freertr/rtr-sw.txt

BTW @csaba: is there a way to "include" a snippet of freerouter
configuration from another file? While in general one wants to keep,
of course, an existing configuration when upgrading the system, it
would be useful to also be able to add version-specific stuff to it,
like these aliases.

The last item on my todo list is to add documentation about how people
can build the system themselves, for those who have acces to the SDE.
I'll then create the first official release if the group agrees :)

--
Alex