rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] nix packaging

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] nix packaging

  • From: <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] nix packaging
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 11:51:41 +0200

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:04:38 +0200, mc36 <> said:

> On 8/16/21 10:01 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> - please compile freerouter to rtr.jar instead of
>>> - freerouter.jar... the name have importance in the autoupgrade
>>> - process...
>>
>> Ok, but we'll have to sort out how exactly the autoupograde is going
>> to interact with the Nix-based release management anyway.
>>

> as i see the user have two options....
> the first one is they upgrade via nix... this is straightforward...
> the other is a bit messy, if they upgrade from freertr cli's "flash upgrade"
> command, then the freertr itself upgrades the rtr.jar within the
> /nix/store/asdf-freerouter/share/java folder...

Nix packages are actually immutable, so this is not really allowed. It
is possible to overwrite files as root in /nix/store with the hybrid
Nix/Debian system that we use now, but it should be avoided. Nix keeps
a database of paths in /nix/store and identifies such a change as a
corruption which would be reverted by running the command "nix-store
--verify --check-contents --repair".

In a proper NixOS system (that we might use in the future), this will
not be possible at all because /nix/store is mounted read-only in that
case.

--
Alex