rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] INT/iOAM

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] INT/iOAM

  • From: Ronald van der Pol <>
  • To: mc36 <>
  • Cc: Ronald van der Pol <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] INT/iOAM
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:42:46 +0100
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=surf.nl; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=surf.nl; dkim=pass header.d=surf.nl; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=34MORTmfTFTRsXyZtCS4AAWo7U1apT+ZNUaBnMbZFX0=; b=AuZ/k4vEadvM7oIdPU254K2Ix7Y0Godg/ts8FC0XjAGb3rx03tp7F4Qpa4IPU7Fw/9RnwA7QBvk833UTqusfx3PaKM1CHL8j7Hbm+CvzHiwT6JnO+NMjxE1/91aI2+tIEuKn/oiGmkFvZgFI+kC8ZBfd4aGy/c29nAYlQohxgZndk01roVxwYkYuh3xz0WP9PpYpPvKoyA8LYYffFx09nsEw09JQ158R5YY+BnpZKzGlIUJMdfzCQAG4sphRzAV4s5slWc4dqadShGLsHwmXT61tWwgqwf9f3478toy1JnRTbVpVBPPcosOkk9eJvTy+xTmm2ql4E2nAjdb2HPdr4g==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Q6Dz3QKSk2ookbH9zWSW+/4UO1SWK5L6lPiuuHk2MBL13CBz47+Oh1dmMluiShSKTR8IDsbAnk9fOp6eG2xdcWOPdqaN88UptRD8G35KbS23YTwjaF+mrm2kJa0wsO07UOp/BFFmZL0ldq47HcpVcxfKZGpzepWQrjyhelmavuidIFDXcEel84HB32FzZz3IEsY/DP/wnBk3ANjpo7Eh8ZtqxuhGt4gXSPSvC5cvG8J1YQQum2cBcYU2V1Ytwbl88/rhtH2SBq2WHkfOOelZKCs7E78DVpC4hAQsX3NO1O2kgMZFk0Y4C1jlhUPlobppxbI0Yu4USzPBaHpmP+3Luw==

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 18:53:50 +0100, mc36 wrote:

> hi,
>
> excellent news, thanks!
> if you have that code somewhere in public, i would
> appreciate if i can take a look at it, or even better,
> if you can pick up a task here that would be excellent...

Do you mean: create a subtask for RARE-53?

> here is my initial idea on the tasks need to be done:
>
> we pick up one, (i personally +1 to int, as that
> i have access to in our lab on some n9ks to interwork
> test with...:)

My code is INT and I add the INT info to a IPv6 hop-by-hop
extension header. On ingress (int_role == source) I
encapsulate the original packet with an IPv6 header
plus extension header. An ACL determines for which
packets this (INT info recording) is done. The nodes
in between have int_role == transit. The egress node
has int_role == sink. The ACL and int_role are set
via the control plane.

BTW, I started with the shim header on top of TCP/UDP.
But this needed a magic bitstring to identify the
shim header. I found this ugly. Another option is
to stick the INT info in TCP options. But this
probably does not make it through middle boxes.

> then we'll study how and what they do compared to
> the drafts, then we must come up with a software
> only implementation, to have something that i can
> sometimes interop test against to n9ks, and then
> regularly interop test that sw fotwarder for the
> dataplane vms (bmv2, tofino, dpdk/libpcap), and
> have that fancy matrix on the project page a
> meaningful green mark...:)
>
> when the sw forwarder is done, we should proceed
> with the p4emu for dpdk/libpcap (c code) simply
> because that is i can easily experiment on my
> homenet (10+ nodes, not a big deal if i down
> some:), to see the possible bottleneck of the
> design and fine-tune the export/import between
> the dataplane/control-plane and don't have to
> deal with the middleware (bffwd)....
>
> after that stage, we could proceed to bmv2
> to have something in p4 finally, but it's
> still a warmup stage for the tofino p4 code...
> as everything is already in a known good state,
> and have test cases covered and executed regularly,
> at least on the p4emu codebase-controlplane, we can
> rule out everything and we can concentrate only on
> the p4 parts....

Why not start with the most restricted dataplane?
I remember that it took quite some effort to make
the Tofino compiler happy.

rvdp