geteduroam - Re: geteduroam app on MacOS?

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the geteduroam service

Re: geteduroam app on MacOS?

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: geteduroam AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: geteduroam app on MacOS?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:09:28 +0100

Hi Jan,

Am 21.01.22 um 09:20 schrieb Jan Reister (via geteduroam Mailing List):
I have a few users who fail the cat.eduroam.org configuration in strange
ways. On other platforms, geteduroam works well in this cases.

what do you mean by "fail in strange ways"? On the CAT-users list, I reported
problems with macOS a while ago, cf.
https://lists.geant.org/sympa/arc/cat-users/2021-11/msg00008.html

In the mean time _some_of these users could work around this by using ea
profile that provides EAP-TTLS/PAP instead of PEAP/MS-CHAPv2
(we support both). Others succeeded when they would temporarily attach a USB
LAN adapter to their MacBook.
Note: We have wired eduroam connections in our Profile AND we set an
anonymous Outer ID.
AFAIK these are features used only by a minority of institutions, and one
error message was
"Network interface not found. Payload could not be installed."
But even providing a WiFi-only profile did not help all clients that ran into
the issue.
The profiles from CAT had worked for years, WITH above features included.
In the post cited above you will find some error messages from macOS
indicating
that something goes wrong in macOS's internal processing.

If the import routine for .mobilconfig XML is indeed flawed,
I doubt that a geteduroam app could be used to work around this.
After all, geteduroam's job is to pull a profile from cat.eduroam.org
(or similar servers) and pass it to the system. Presumably,
geteduroam has to call the same API as is used to import a downloaded
.mobileconfig
Rather, macOS's import routine needs to be fixed -- or someone should
figure out if there's indeed something wrong with the .mobilconfig files
from CAT (which I doubt).

In your profile on cat.eduroam.org (Università degli Studi di Milano)
there is no such thing as wired eduroam or an anonymous outer ID.
So what are your error messages?

Cheers, Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994