geteduroam - Re: iOS bug resolved in 15.2, Windows client update

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the geteduroam service

Re: iOS bug resolved in 15.2, Windows client update

  • From: Ralf Paffrath <paffrath AT dfn.de>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • Cc: "geteduroam AT lists.geant.org" <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org>, François Kooman <fkooman AT tuxed.net>
  • Subject: Re: iOS bug resolved in 15.2, Windows client update
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:32:44 +0100

Hi,

> On 12. Nov 2021, at 09:44, Paul Dekkers (via geteduroam Mailing List)
> <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ah, maybe I wasn't clear about the API; it doesn't affect the way the Apps
> work on the profile side, it uses a different Android API to install the
> WiFi networks. This was non-existant in Android 10, it caused a crash in
> the first release of Android 11, but it works well on A11+ now, but we have
> some remaining issues that we're still working on.
>
> So it will continue to use .eap-config files, which is an answer to your
> second question also: all current Apps read .eap-config files, also iOS,
> and not .mobileconfig. (In fact I think that wouldn't even be possible.) We
> may have a different strategy on a macOS version, but that's for later.
>
> Hope this clarifies things,

We use GETEDUROAM for our brand new pilot project EasyRoam4Edu (a managed
eduroam IdP inspired by eduVPN) what is part off a bachelor thesis.

On iOS we recommend our pilot users not to use the GETEDUROAM app but use the
mobileconfig which the pilot user can download directly from our EasyRoam4Edu
server.

On iOS 14 the EasyRoam4Edu world was ok, we used the GETEDUROAM App
successfully. But then iOS 15 came up and the GETEDUROAM App on iOS 15
announced an internal error when reading the eap_config so we were forced to
switch to mobileconfig ant the EasyRoam4Edu world was ok again.

In fact downloading the mobileconfig for MacOSX/iOS is not a problem, it
works stable. In EasyRoam4Edu we support EAP-TLS authentication only in a
hybrid ca environment based on a public ca (server site) and a privat ca
(client site).

Best regards,
Ralf