edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Edugain exchange program

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Edugain exchange program

  • From: Ann West <awest AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>, "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "refeds AT lists.refeds.org" <refeds AT lists.refeds.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Edugain exchange program
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:01:22 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

If we are to have a baseline set of federation practices like we explored at
TNC, the community will need to help each other get and stay there (and
increase it over time).

On-going support and training is a key component to pick up again, especially
in the context of that discussion.

Ann

Ann West
AVP, Trust and Identity
ED, InCommon
Internet2
W:720.379.9666

On 7/10/19, 6:05 AM, "edugain-discuss-request AT lists.geant.org on behalf of
Peter Schober" <edugain-discuss-request AT lists.geant.org on behalf of
peter.schober AT univie.ac.at> wrote:

* Hank Nussbacher <Hank AT mail.iucc.ac.il> [2019-07-10 13:42]:
> Therefore I would like to see whether we can create an Edugain
> exchange program whereby one NREN can send personnel for a 1-3
> intense training program at an NREN that does have the requisite
> knowledgeable personnel.

I recall that in the past there have been such "exchanges",
e.g. people from WAYF.dk (and Scott K.?) going to South Africa to help
with SAFIRE. So maybe those involved could share their experiences.
(AFAIR it was David S. for WAYF and he's no longer with WAYF but maybe
Siju M. from SANREN or Guy H. from TENET can share their side of the
story?)

The other way round seems to be a more established way of doing this,
at least where EU funding exists:

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/opportunities/staff-training_en

But I'm not suggesting to limit your proposal to EU programmes or
central funding -- if people/NRENs/federations could agree on other
models of cost sharing all the better, I guess.
(I'm not holding my breath for that, though, considering all the
trouble community-developed Free/Libre/OpenSource projects had/have to
go through in order to find sharing funding.)

-peter