edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Oman/OMREN Fed for eduGAIN membership
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 16:16:11 +0200

* Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu> [2018-08-07 16:04]:
> On 8/7/18 8:03 AM, Peter Schober wrote:
> > * Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu> [2018-08-07 15:37]:
> >> Once OMREN is a member of eduGAIN and producing metadata, should
> >> OmanKID be removed?
> >
> > If that's OmanKID's desire that's certainly possible.
> > Why are we talking about this?
>
> Musallam said:
>
> "We consider OMREN Federation the one that should join edugain not Oman KID"

Oman KID already is a bona fine eduGAIN member.
So it's up to them to change that, if they desire.

Even if OMREN and Oman KID share the same funding body I don't see how
one federation can get another one removed from eduGAIN, or why you
specifically would be so interested in helping them achieve that.

AFAIU OMREN will slowly be taking over services from Oman KID to avoid
any Oman KID members losing access to eduGAIN. Once that happens maybe
Oman KID will retreat from eduGAIN, maybe not. Seems rather simple to
me.

-peter