edugain-discuss - RE: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Uganda/RIF for eduGAIN membership

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

RE: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Uganda/RIF for eduGAIN membership

  • From: "Nicholas Mbonimpa" <cto AT renu.ac.ug>
  • To: "'CTO RENU'" <cto AT renu.ac.ug>, "'brook schofield'" <brook.schofield AT geant.org>
  • Cc: "'Arnout Terpstra'" <arnout.terpstra AT surfnet.nl>, <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: RE: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Uganda/RIF for eduGAIN membership
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:39:42 +0300
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.9.2 mail.renu.ac.ug 270C5C30A2

Hullo Arnout and Rhys,

Below are the responses to your feedback.

MRPS:

Arnout: It took me a while to figure out who is eligible to join your federation; it might be worthwhile to include this in de MRPS (both IdPs and SPs)

Response:

The statement in the MRPS document shared/uploaded last week, “Section 3 – Membership Eligibility and Ownership”, page 5 was;

The procedure for becoming a member of the Federation is documented at: https://rif.renu.ac.ug/.

This has now been changed to two more specific statements (for IdPs and SPs) after your feedback;

The procedure for becoming a member of the Federation as an Identity Provider is documented at: https://rif.renu.ac.ug/idp-how-to-join/.

The procedure for becoming a member of the Federation as a Service Provider is documented at: https://rif.renu.ac.ug/sp-how-to-join/.

Policy:

Arnout: The policy document seems to focus on members only (tertiary education institutions of Uganda as well as dedicated research organizations). What are the requirements for SPs offered by others?

Response:

Section 4. Eligibility of the policy document has the statement “The criteria is fully described on the RIF website, https://rif.renu.ac.ug/.

The procedure for SPs is at https://rif.renu.ac.ug/sp-how-to-join/, where there’s a clear procedure for SPs. Those that are not RENU member institutions are catered for by the statement “Organisations that are not subscribed to RENU membership, and have a desire to join the RIF as an SP only,  can  join through a different application process under non-member terms. Please contact the RENU Secretariat for more details.

Arnout: 3.3: Members "Shall appoint and name an administrative contact"; however, no mention about technical contacts (couldn't find anything in the SAML Technology Profile as well)

Response: The statement “Shall appoint and name an administrative contact, and a technical contact, for interactions with the Federation Operator.” has been added in section 3.3.

Arnout: In 3.3 I see mentions of a "Data Protection Profile" and a "Level of Assurance Profiles". Where are they?

Response: The mentions of both terms have been done away with since we do not have the profiles yet.

Arnout: In 6.2 you first claim to offer the federation without liability, but then go on to say the maximum liability per calendar year is $1000. Is it just me or does that sound contradictory? Also, there are multiple paragraphs repeating the same thing.

Response: The maximum liability figure has been done away with. Repetition in section 6.3 – “Jurisdiction and dispute resolution” has been removed. We feel the remainder of section 6.2 that seems repetitive, instead provides more clarification and tries to remove ambiguity.

We have uploaded the updated documents for both the MRPS https://rif.renu.ac.ug/docs/mrps.pdf and the policy https://rif.renu.ac.ug/docs/rifp.pdf.

Kind regards,

Nicholas Mbonimpa