edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] SP metadata does not comply with the CoCo

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] SP metadata does not comply with the CoCo

  • From: Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips AT canarie.ca>
  • To: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] SP metadata does not comply with the CoCo
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:59:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Problem detection is a solved problem in the Nagios world. Maybe leverage
it's flap detection technique or the whole thing as the engine and
interface with it via APIs or other mechanisms?

Leveraging the notion of requiring multiple failures before truly
declaring a problem would be valuable. Having a '3 strikes and your down'
assessment model is better than single error and your down one. It allows
a soft failure of intermittent connectivity to be absorbed and avoid the
alerts that were seen I suspect.

Nagios is also multi-node capable so that could be leveraged as well, but
may be overkill if the soft failure approach improves things.