edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP

  • From: Olivier Salaün <olivier.salaun AT renater.fr>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>, "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>, refeds AT terena.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 10:04:47 +0200

Hello Niels,

Le 08/09/2015 16:13, Niels van Dijk a écrit :
55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
Nice!

Just tested it with one of my services, and this works well :)
I'm glad you find the service useful.

55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
2 requests:
- - can I get a slightly more convenient way of seeing username/passwd
and associated attributes?
- - can I download the account details?

I think both could be covered if the Test Accounts page would feature
a CSV or TXT download of the accounts. This would instantly solve the
"Please keep a record of the above user names and passwords" issue ;)
It sounds like a legitimate request; I think we could implement that in a future release

55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
Also a few questions:
- - are you reassiging ePPNs? I am think here of a case where I would
allow somebody with ePPN 19 AT access-check.edugain.org access, but after
7 days that might be assigned to somebody else?
The service is designed so that ePPNs doesn't get reassigned.

55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
- - the accounts show: "eduPersonTargetedID: value dynamically generated
by the SP" -> will the give a persistent or a transient value?
The value of the eduPersonTargetedID is a persistentID, as implemented by simpleSAMLphp [1]

55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
- - The check seems to ignore the SPs attribute retirements from SP
metadata. Is that intentionally?
I assume you meant "attribute requirements" above. eduGAIN Access Check should only those user attributes requested by the SP. Attributes expectations are loaded from the SP SAML metadata (RequestedAttribute XML entries). If you observe a different behavior, please come back to me with details; I will investigate.

55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
Then a more philosophical question:
Our federation does not like/allow test entities to be published into
eduGAIN, as we would typically want them to think about stuff like
attributes and test that with a testbed like this one *before* they
connect to eduGAIN. We e.g. require an attribute request statment
before a SP can join our federation.

I feel therefore it would make sense to also allow SPs to test their
setup before getting into eduGAIN. This would require a serie to
provide a metadata URL, not select one from existing metadata. What do
you think?
That's exactly the conclusion we drawn within the "Enabling Users" GEANT task. Therefore next release of the Access Check service will be useable within national federations context too, because we had use cases in France and Switzerland already. What will change: some kind of federation selection, different test account templates to meet each federation's requirement.

Regards.

[1] https://simplesamlphp.org/docs/1.12/core:authproc_targetedid
55EEED1B.3050307 AT surfnet.nl">
Many thanks,