edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP

  • From: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • To: Olivier Salaün <olivier.salaun AT renater.fr>, "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>, refeds AT terena.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Access Check: Check federated login for your eduGAIN SP
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:13:47 +0200

Nice!

Just tested it with one of my services, and this works well :)

2 requests:
- - can I get a slightly more convenient way of seeing username/passwd
and associated attributes?
- - can I download the account details?

I think both could be covered if the Test Accounts page would feature
a CSV or TXT download of the accounts. This would instantly solve the
"Please keep a record of the above user names and passwords" issue ;)

Also a few questions:
- - are you reassiging ePPNs? I am think here of a case where I would
allow somebody with ePPN 19 AT access-check.edugain.org access, but after
7 days that might be assigned to somebody else?
- - the accounts show: "eduPersonTargetedID: value dynamically generated
by the SP" -> will the give a persistent or a transient value?
- - The check seems to ignore the SPs attribute retirements from SP
metadata. Is that intentionally?

Then a more philosophical question:
Our federation does not like/allow test entities to be published into
eduGAIN, as we would typically want them to think about stuff like
attributes and test that with a testbed like this one *before* they
connect to eduGAIN. We e.g. require an attribute request statment
before a SP can join our federation.

I feel therefore it would make sense to also allow SPs to test their
setup before getting into eduGAIN. This would require a serie to
provide a metadata URL, not select one from existing metadata. What do
you think?

Many thanks,

Niels

On 08-09-15 15:41, Olivier Salaün wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Have you ever wanted to test login on your eduGAIN Service Provider
> with different identities (staff, student, researchers) from a
> eduGAIN different Identity Provider than your own?
>
> If so, we recommend you to have a look at the "eduGAIN Access
> Check" service that allows administrators of eduGAIN SPs to test
> federated login of their own service with different user
> (attribute) profiles. This is especially useful if the operators of
> an eduGAIN service don't have an eduGAIN-enabled account themselves
> (e.g. cloud providers or researchers whose institution is not in
> eduGAIN yet). But it is also useful in case one wants to test login
> from another eduGAIN Identity Provider than the one from his own
> institution.
>
> The eduGAIN Access Check provides realistic short-time user
> profiles (users with non-ascii names, incomplete attribute sets) to
> help SP administrators improve and adapt their eduGAIN-enabled
> service.
>
> If you want to try the eduGAIN Access Check service and learn more
> about it, find the service and its description at:
>
> <https://access-check.edugain.org/>
>
> Feel also free to let other Service Providers know about the
> eduGAIN Access Check; they might find it useful if they consider
> joining eduGAIN.
>
> As the service development continues, we are also looking forward
> to getting feedback and inputs.
>
> --
>

> *Olivier Salaün* Etudes et projets applicatifs
>
> Tél : +33 2 23 23 71 27 Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 11
> <http://www.renater.fr>www.renater.fr RENATER 263 Avenue du Gal
> Leclerc 35042 Rennes Cedex

- --

Please note:
On January 1st, 2015 SURFnet moved to a new office.
New Visiting address: Kantoren Hoog Overborch (Hoog Catharijne)
Moreelsepark 48, 3511 EP Utrecht
Postal address: PO Box 19035, 3501 DA Utrecht
New Telephone: +31 88-7873000