edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Metadata Aggregator and Metadata ID for sigining process

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Metadata Aggregator and Metadata ID for sigining process

  • From: Alejandro Lara <alara AT reuna.cl>
  • To: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Metadata Aggregator and Metadata ID for sigining process
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:59:03 -0400

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your answer. I'll check the recommended alternative. Could you please indicate me the discussion thread in the shibboleth-users list?

Best regards

Alejandro.

On 09/02/2013 10:42 AM, Ian Young wrote:
On 2 Sep 2013, at 15:30, Alejandro Lara <alara AT reuna.cl> wrote:

I'm deploying the metadata aggregator tool, in order to collect the edugain metadata and publish in our federation. I was trying to red it with a test IdP (shibboleth) but it miss the ID variable in the EntitiesDescriptor tag, letting empty the URI variable in the Reference tag  the signed metadata generated with metadata aggegator and that generates.

How I can generate the ID variable in the collected metadata in order to sign this metadata with the ID as a reference? This is my first time using metadata aggregator tool
Hi Alejandro,

There is a stage provided with the metadata aggregator that is designed to do that for you (GenerateIdStage).  Unfortunately if you're working from the public distribution, there's a bug in an underlying library that causes problems for that stage so you can't use it.  The problems are fixed in the subversion repository, though, so if you're working from a version you have checked out from there you should be fine using it.

A simple alternative is to put a little XSLT transform stage in to add the ID attribute.  That's actually what I use in the UKf setup, as I wanted a timestamp in there rather than a random identifier.

There was a discussion in shibboleth-users about this a couple of months back, with example code.  Let me know if you need any additional help (I'm the developer, as well as using it in the UKf).

	-- Ian