cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....

  • From: Lukas Wringer <Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:53:14 +0100

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, dem 30.11.2023 um 11:16 +0100 schrieb Paul Dekkers:
> For geteduroam we always used the "saved network" approach, from
> Android
> 12 on. It was buggy in the first Android 11 release, and Google fixed
> that but not all OEMs got that code. We may need to switch as more
> recent Android versions do a bit better, but we're not 100% certain
> this
> is the best decision yet. (So feedback is appreciated. And perhaps a
> test version would help also, we can consider to open up the beta.)

I like the approach used in Android 12 (1.1.0) a lot better then the
one used in the beta of geteduroam for Android 11 (and even the silent
way of old eduroam CAT App) - as we view geteduroam only as a way to
install classic CAT profiles, profile/account expiration ins't really a
thing and having visible settings is always better, than trusting
hidden vodoo.

For example I had some phones comming into support (even Samsungs) that
were to hell not able to keep the outer identity saved. And this can
only be verified if I can actually look into the settings.

Also being able to trigger a connection by tapping on the network is
also a plus - Sometimes my phone needs a little encouragement to
actually try a connections instead of waiting 5 Minutes for it.

And beeing able to fully delete the settings out of the system is
sometimes also important - I do not trust Android to fully cleanup that
stuff when deleting the App...

Also to me that way feels a lot more stable - But I may also be a bit
biased as previous geteduroam versions had other bugs that were
unfixable because that would have broken older Android Versions ;-)

PS: What I really miss though is the debug-log viewer of eduroam CAT.

Greetings, Lukas

--
Lukas Wringer

Universität Augsburg