cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....

  • From: Paul Menzel <pmenzel AT molgen.mpg.de>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • Cc: Lukas Wringer <Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam on ChromeOS ist very, very weird....
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:18:54 +0100

Dear Paul,

Am 29.11.23 um 11:24 schrieb Paul Dekkers (via cat-users Mailing List):

Worth sharing is that we are very close to having a geteduroam version available for ChromeOS. It's part of the redeveloped version for Android.

We already released it for getgovroam, we need to do some more tests and make some more and maybe different choices for geteduroam, but I think we'll try to release it soon, maybe even before the end of the year.

For ChromeOS there's two (outside of ONC) ways to install the profiles, and both have caveats, but I kind of like it a lot we'll be able to do this with geteduroam, as it appears more friendly to me compared to ONC or a manual config.

Thank you for the update. I do not like the “app approach“ at all, and would favor an integrated solution like on iOS using ONC files. Chrome OS besides the Web browser is based on the FLOSS Chromium OS, so I wonder, why development effort is not spent on improving the native experience.

Kind regards,

Paul