cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...

Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 10:14:21 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 smtp.umk.pl 4E0ED20330

Hi,

   What we have now is what I see as a transition phase. You might not be aware of is that geteduroam actually relies on CAT in the background - but only admin interface and a specific "device" which produces eap-config profiles. Also at the moment, native CAT Windows and Apple installers provide support for OpenRoaming, that is something yet to be added in geteduroam. OpenRoaming is not really visible in most federations - it requires turning it on on the federation level and then also on the institution level, but it is there if people want to experiment with it now.

My expectations for the future would be that the CAT development will focus on the background - admin interface, supporting tools and support for the eap-config profiles used by geteduroam. geteduroam will most likely take over as the installation tool. At the moment it would be impossible just to drop support for the current approach.

The native CAT approach could be a chosen way for some institutions as Windows, Apple and Limux installers are produced as ready to go - no institution selection is required in the app. As a local admin you can create deep links that go directly to the instillers and embed this in your own local instructions. Of course this is not possible for Android, which breaks the uniformity of all that.

The bash script for Linux is a long story. In fact the first installers were bash scripts calling some python additions, then we moved fully to python. Then using nmcli was pointed to us as a better alternative and the original bash script was rebuilt to use that. The geteduroam initiative was only gaining momentum at the time, so it was not obvious which way to go.

I hope this throws some light on what might be expected.

Tomasz