cat-users - [[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...

[[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...

  • From: Lukas Wringer <Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] geteduroam or CAT for Linux, Windows, Apple...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 09:54:04 +0200

Hi,

for a while now 'geteduroam' has been set as a successor for eduroam
CAT on Android. While it had a rough start with Google API shenanigans
it now finaly works as it should be - if you are at least on Android 12
and use version 1.1.0 (older versions are still kinda broken)

But geteduroam also exists for Windows, macOS, iOS/iPadOS ( and linux
seems to be in active development and looks quite nice:
https://github.com/geteduroam/linux-app )

As I found out, you are also developing a new Linux script to replace
the 'old' Python script.

With this I just am courious - why are there two sets of Apps/Scripts
devloped for the same purpose - to install eduroam wifi profiles from
the CAT-Database?

I know that on Windows we would loose the option for GEANTLink maybe
and mass deployment could be a bit tricky to implement - but the other
OSes?

Especially as the CAT installers are built specifically for each
organisation I think that creates a lot of overhead in contrast to the
singele build of geteduroam?

Greetings, Lukas

--
Lukas Wringer