cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Windows 11 22H2 update breaks CAT eduroam?

Re: [[cat-users]] Windows 11 22H2 update breaks CAT eduroam?

  • From: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • To: Timothée Peraldi <Timothee.Peraldi AT etu.univ-paris1.fr>
  • Cc: Tony Skalski <ajs AT stolaf.edu>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Windows 11 22H2 update breaks CAT eduroam?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 08:55:06 +0200
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=surf.nl; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=surf.nl; dkim=pass header.d=surf.nl; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=TFsT6TgUK2Ukuid9CzwEgNx5Y0FwydCcSiYRoGtQzUo=; b=C9riEQL3yHowQ0KUwvgOIlIYQgtoT5k/uDHrwa+vbL9QZeZT/J3MzWhkpRxa6ncpnMgWpsqjENiNHo6BwYsuYXl1OFtotoFheEb7KfWXo1MK9W7GBa/dc9yowD8scf57BVn6mpFfni5HIjW3Gxh8bw0CdJhobt74vSP7VKVHnOMzrYSKOE6PMXW+V7rq08GMqSSjzjj7uwXMCFyBLQctds/7SK8fHYs2+Sr9rTCWhw7M8xtjxS8rcMzu60M4j4vQrtoudwxNiVUnJaaNLdYC89MsP39mW9qGvhh+R4Hrokvj5KMf2s+bnQQnoGkNrtuphTLIEveOmo/aoHFMSxi2/A==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=lk9fGbcE+bzrbcSyjMZvOAH5i6VcQE5038BIDoRpnVlaTlxfUJTBogAGtQQE71lpqUx+dOMn2KydpIkfN0FTCXeV2xJ+GigrZe+KXl+CngjRisCzvfjsJ0bArnOxJtlasM7Wqvh/kzB9aI+9qnxmucS4lOlQUPrsE21rdcvv+6XRsBDuDxpAAJa+159Kowb1HPzj87hH0P5MAQdsRZbqH18F0soyV+NIVxWD3bnMn56tLqg5Mi8WAcjzhhHppVCnADCqkZRJ7zQu9JUG2+hdjOVqtAoPfziavrnXeCq2VNLuEzUfnU6QM/XS7n4XfO7stsAn75euY+gZgzIycztZmA==

Hi,

Thanks for making those screenshots and performing tests. Let's get to the bottom of this;

There are differences in Windowws 11 Professional and Enterprise; and I believe it's only Enterprise that enables Credential Guard by default. You can see this in "System Information" (or msinfo32.exe) at the bottom of the list in "Virtualization-based security services configured" and "Virtualization-based security services running". It should list "Credential Guard" if it's enabled.

You can also run this in powershell:

(Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DeviceGuard -Namespace root\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard).SecurityServicesRunning

and if the result is 0, you're not on CredentialGuard.

So what could be at play is that you're seeing the TLS 1.3 issue; Because Microsoft changed 2 things at the same time for eduroam... I sent you a separate mail with a username/password and I hope you are so kind to test this account on this particular client. I'm sure this account works with TLS 1.3

The TLS 1.3 issue means that some Identity Providers are not compatible with clients trying to do TLS 1.3 authentication: and the authentication then fails, it doesn't try to fallback to TLS 1.2. This is something that can be resolved by an upgrade at the IdP. With the proper configuration, clients do fallback to TLS 1.2.

Regards,
Paul