cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Media Properties - Wired Ethernet

Re: [[cat-users]] Media Properties - Wired Ethernet

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Media Properties - Wired Ethernet
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:34:48 +0200

Hi,

On 22.04.22 04:27, Ed Kingscote wrote:
or is that more likely to cause strange issues with the wired connectivity?

Tomasz' explanations are 100% correct. But if you have BYOD macOS users,
please consider
the following issue: On a modern macBook, there is no built-in ethernet
interface.
The import of a .mobileconfig profile containing the wired part will always
fail,
unless a suitable wired ethernet USB adapter has been plugged into the MacBook
at least once. We have observed this behavior since Nov 2021, and thus provide
two different versions of our profile. Please note that cat.eduroam.org's
profile editor will allow you to _add_ support for wired for a specific
profile,
but not to remove it. So if you opt for two different versions of your
profile,
the global setting must be wired OFF.

The whole thing was discussed on this list around mid-March, BTW.

Cheers, Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994