cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: "Internal error" while connecting via "geteduroam" on Android 11

Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: "Internal error" while connecting via "geteduroam" on Android 11

  • From: Hunter Fuller <hf0002 AT uah.edu>
  • To: Paul Dekkers <paul.dekkers AT surf.nl>
  • Cc: Arthur Petrosyan <arthur AT sci.am>, eduroam CAT Feedback <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: "Internal error" while connecting via "geteduroam" on Android 11
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:37:15 -0500

Arthur,

Since Paul concurs, here is an email I have sent to educause
wireless-lan list before. It may help you. I did not mention it, but
we provision this CA with CAT. We do not provision the server cert
(and in fact CAT warns you against doing this).

---

UAH is using an offline CA we call the "Russ CA," named affectionately
after our previous CISO. Here is how Russ created the Russ CA and
signed our eduroam cert using this CA:

$ openssl genrsa -des3 -out rootCA.key 4096
$ openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key rootCA.key -sha256 -days 7300
-out rootCA.crt
$ openssl ca -create_serial -keyfile rootCA.key -cert rootCA.crt -in
input.pem -out out.crt -config ./server.cnf

Where:
- rootCA.key becomes the Root CA private key
- rootCA.crt becomes the Root CA cert
- input.pem is the CSR from your RADIUS (ClearPass I guess)
- out.crt becomes the signed cert for RADIUS

You will be asked to provide a passphrase for the Root CA key. It is
vitally important that this be kept secure and that you do not lose
it.
You will be asked for information about the Root CA when you make the
cert. Give real information. It shows up on iPhones under some
circumstances, at the very least.
Do not lose the root CA key, cert, or passphrase between signings! If
you lose it, you will have to restart from nothing, and reprovision
all your users.

We are using this method for the past couple of years with no trouble.
If you have any other questions let me know.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology