cat-users - [[cat-users]] Draft: Happy Deathday, Windows 7

[[cat-users]] Draft: Happy Deathday, Windows 7

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org, cat-announce AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Draft: Happy Deathday, Windows 7
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:23:18 +0100

Hello,

I'm sure you've heard about this in today's media coverage: today marks
the last day of support for Windows 7 by Microsoft, unless you have a
special Extended Support Agreement (ESU programme).

The CAT support policy for operating systems loosely follows the
respective vendor's.

Since universities may be bulk purchasers of Microsoft products with
easy access to the ESU programme, it feels overly adventurous to cease
supporting Windows 7 devices in CAT right now.

So, we will keep up supporting Windows 7 as best as we can until further
notice; if at all possible until the end of the ESU programme in three
years from now. It is possible that we may have to cannibalise on some
features over time (such as TTLS support due to the unknown future of
GEANTlink, etc.).

This is meant to allow participating institutions with ESU to get
eduroam installers for their users. It is NOT meant as a convenience to
end users with unpatched Windows 7 systems. Every user of Windows 7
without access to an ESU contract really should upgrade to a different
operating system which is still maintained by the respective vendor.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université