cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] CAT profile installer vs manual config

Re: [[cat-users]] CAT profile installer vs manual config

  • From: David Andrus <david_andrus AT byu.edu>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] CAT profile installer vs manual config
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 02:12:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

One of my biggest arguments for using the installer is that it helps fix a lot of issues with Windows. I’ve had quite a few users that were unable to connect to eduroam on Windows 7/8/10 for no discernable reason. It’s become our first troubleshooting step after ensuring that users are entering their credentials correctly. It’s been a very valuable time-saving tool for us in troubleshooting. One of the things it also does is install the security certificate thereby avoiding the warning messages from the O/S regarding certificate installation that come up during a manual connection.

With Apple devices I see less benefit. You still have to accept the certificate and enter admin credentials to connect. I find the benefit for Android questionable at best. On one hand manual connections with Android require users to manually select their EAP type, Phase 2 authentication, and a CA certificate (if not preinstalled you have to select “Do not validate” which gets a message in red text warning you that your connection won’t be private) as well as an additional entry for Anonymous identity. I’ve never understood why Android does this while every other desktop and mobile O/S just asks for username/password.

The thing with the Android installer, though, is that it requires the user to first install a third party app from the app store before the network profile can be installed. It’s slightly more user friendly, in my opinion, but comes with its own set of annoyances.

--
David Andrus
Network Product Manager