cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] no connection to eduroam

Re: [[cat-users]] no connection to eduroam

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org, ÁLVARO MORATO CAMPOS <alvaro_morato AT usal.es>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] no connection to eduroam
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:11:20 +0100

Hello,

> I have a smartphone that runs android 5.0, kernel version 3.10.54.
> I used without problems until two weeks ago the wifi network of the
> university of salamanca
> EAP: 21/TTLS
> internal EAP: 1/PAP
> authentication:cat.20170714 AT usal.es
>
> the service here says that there is problems with some  android system,
> but for this ther is no information in the web.

There is certainly no recent and new principal problem with Android in
eduroam.
There are some long-standing issues; but since your phone worked until a
few weeks ago, that can't be it:
* It's true that older versions have security issues (that's why we do
not support them in CAT), and
* that all but the most current versions cause problems when IdPs do
certain configuration changes (but that is not a CAT problem).

> usually the phone connnects to the net but only a message of INSECURED
> connection is showed

This information is not giving a full picture, but since the IdP told
you something problematic is going on, and you get an INSECURE warning
since a while, let me try a wild guess:

Probably, the IdP changed their server certificate (which identifies
your connection as genuine) and moved to a different root CA - one which
your device is not configured to trust. Hence the security warning.

If that is the case, only the IdP can help you by telling you where to
get the new root CA from.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche