cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username

Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Jérôme BERTHIER <Jerome.Berthier AT inria.fr>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 08:36:29 +0100

Hello,

> As you notice for all Windows assistant (see footnote 1 on the webpage
> of profiles), the realm of the outer identity is not correcty applied
> from the profile :
>
> "Anonymous identities do not use the realm as specified in the profile -
> it is derived from the suffix of the user's username input instead."

Somebody actually read the footnote! I can't believe it! :-) Thanks for
the thorough read. Just like you observe below:

> This seems to be a limitation of Windows system which does not support
> the character @ in the outer identity (at least under the network
> connection GUI).

This is indeed intentional; the guys at Microsoft thought it's a good
idea not to allow typing a realm for the outer ID.

It's not a bug in the sense that the @ character is broken in that input
field - it's a feature: Microsoft really does not want a realm to be
typed. If your actual username contains a realm, it will be extracted
from the inner username and appended as a realm to outer. If your inner
username does not contain a realm, the input from the outer ID field is
used as-is.

> Is there anyway to fix it by concatenating the realm provided by CAT and
> the inner username during the installation process ?

No. The spec does not allow explicit configuration of realms for outer
IDs; trying to smuggle it in are blocked.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université