cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username

Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Windows profile - add realm to inner username
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:00:13 +0100

Hi,
   I would  like to step back a little bit.
In general the two settings of CAT - the realm and the string for the
anonymous identity are there for just one purpose - serving the
anonymous identity. In principle user's input should have nothing to do
with these settings, therefore if the OS handles things correctly and
the admin enters these two CAT settings then the user should not be able
to touch them.

If you use TTLS then on the native supplicant we use on Windows 8 and
8.1 the whole outer identity will be pushed into the configuration. If
Windows needs to prompt the user for credentials then this should be
only the inner credentials and this should not touch the outer part that
we set ourselves.

PEAP really is this special example. If you read the MS spec you will
see that they did not leave space for separate implementation of the
full outer identity and this is how they have implemented this in the
system. Other implementations of PEAP (say wpa_supplicant) seem to
overuse the spec and actually allow a username+realm as the outer
identity, but this really is beside the point.

To summarise, if you really want to have different realms you must stay
away from PEAP and you must also realise that the "naive" manual
configuration will simply not work for your users (which might be
actually considered a good thing).

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576