cat-users - [[cat-users]] UI: change of default skin / discontinuing current skin?

[[cat-users]] UI: change of default skin / discontinuing current skin?

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: eduroam CAT Feedback <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] UI: change of default skin / discontinuing current skin?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:30:58 +0200

Hello,

as you may have read in a previous announcement, CAT now has full
support for skins on the end-user interface.

In fact, there are now two skins in the master branch:

- classic: the one you know and love (or not)
https://cat-pilot.eduroam.org/test/?skin=classic
- eduroam2016: much fresher look, developed by Tomasz Wolniewicz
https://cat-pilot.eduroam.org/test/?skin=eduroam2016

(the new skin is still rough around the edges, but the visual appearance
should be clear)

BTW, as you see from the links above, you can steer your users
immediately to a skin of your choice with the skin= HTTP GET parameter.
You can also set it as an NRO-wide option.

So, if you want your own skin to eventually be part of the distribution,
start sending pull requests NOW :-)

The big question around this is however: now that we have choice: would
you rather see the next version of CAT to appear by default with the new
skin, or the old skin.

If /nobody/ likes the old classic skin any more, the corollary question
would be: can we stop maintaining the old skin and move to the
eduroam2016 exclusively? After all even classic needs new code to be
written to support the Managed IdP features etc. and we could also use
that coding time for other things.

Let's vote!

http://foodl.org/foodle/eduroam-CAT-end-user-skin-59425

Stefan WINTER