cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Proxy = Auto-Detect causing problems

Re: [[cat-users]] Proxy = Auto-Detect causing problems

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Matti Saarinen <mjsaarin AT cc.helsinki.fi>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Proxy = Auto-Detect causing problems
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:15:25 +0200

Hello,

> During this autumn, we have been getting reports from Apple users that
> they cannot reach certain web sites from eduroam. My colleagues who are
> familiar with Apple products told me that it's eduroam CAT and its Proxy
> = Auto-Detect setting that is causing the problem. Also, the same
> setting makes Outlook on OS X crash occasionally.
>
> So, my questions are: Can I tune the Proxy setting somehow? Can I do
> something else to circumvent the issue if altering CAT is not possible?
> Is this an issue that only we have seen? Locally, I can tune DHCP to
> send option that points to our local www caches and that would probably
> work.

You should realise one important consideration: this is a roaming
consortium. Eventually, your users *will* roam to other places, with the
same unaltered configuration.

If you were able to set proxy settings to Disabled, then your users will
not be able to use the internet at eduroam SPs which require a proxy
connection and announce that with the appropriate technical means (DHCP,
...). Web proxies are discouraged in eduroam, but permitted, so this
needs to be foreseen in the configs we distribute. I.e. we intentionally
do not support a "DoS my users when roaming" setting.

> WPAD has also security issues:
>
> http://www.csoonline.com/article/3106076/data-protection/disable-wpad-now-or-have-your-accounts-and-private-data-compromised.html

The idea is that *you* as the administrator of your network take control
over distribution of WPAD settings (exactly like you describe above) -
and then noone else can generously do that for you.

So, yes, the DHCP option is likely something that will make things work
on your campus (and that's all you can do - other sites have their own
settings, and your users are subjected to those when they roam there
whether you like it or not).

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche