cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] additional ssid with TKIP

Re: [[cat-users]] additional ssid with TKIP

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm AT noc.grnet.gr>, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] additional ssid with TKIP
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:33:58 +0100

Hi Zenon,
do I understand the log correctly? Did you define "eduroam" as the
additional TKIP SSID?
It looks like you did. Well, indeed CAT does not cope with this. TKIP on
eduroam is "illegal" and we should probably have some configuration test
blocking this setting in CAT. Indeed due to this "illegality" and the
fact that previously CAT was installing the "eduroam (TKIP)" profile, we
are now silently removing this profile if found on the machine.
Therefore your diagnosis was correct, CAT was removing the profile and
then tried to add credentials and was failing on this. It simply did not
realise that the additional SSID was in fact eduroam. To make things
worse, for TKIP profiles we also install the AES profile, so what we
were actually doing in this case was:
1. install "eduroam" (as the default network)
2. install "eduroam" as the additional AES network
3. install "eduroam (TKIP)" as the additional TKIP network
4. remove "eduroam (TKIP)" as the "illegal" network

Plus remove every located profile before installing a new one, plus
install credentials for every profile installed.
This does create this mess that you see in the logs. If for TKIP you set
up any other SSID then things will go smoothly.

Yours
Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576