cat-users - Re: [cat-users] eduroam not working with El Capitan 10.11 Beta

Re: [cat-users] eduroam not working with El Capitan 10.11 Beta

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] eduroam not working with El Capitan 10.11 Beta
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 19:41:00 +0200

>> When negotiating a TLS/SSL connection with Diffie-Hellman key exchange,
>> OS
>> X El Capitan requires a 1024-bit group or larger. OS X El Capitan will
>> not
>> connect to a server that allows negotiation with a 512-bit or smaller
>> group.
> yep. we're getting ready an advisory for our UK admins about this
> I noticed same behaviour a few weeks back with wpa_supplicant authentication
> through a RADIATOR proxy to a FreeRADIUS end server.... FreeRADIUS
> GIT repo updated to its 2048bit DH...

Ah, another round of a vendor obsoleting a crypto parameter. I guess
it's reasonable to "do something" as this will help against logjam; only
a bit too drastic to make it a DoS IMHO.

Anyway - this means the realm checks should get a new check: if ciphers
using DH are negotiated, is the DH group >=1024 Bit? I guess it'll take
a bit of head-scratching on my side to actually find out how to diagnose
this out of eapol_test, but it's probably worth it.

If we could roll this out before El Capitan starts to sail on the
world's Wi-Fi waves, it would serve as a helper to prepare admins for
the change. According to various rumour sites, we have a countdown clock
ending some time in October or so...