cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate

Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Deyan Stoykov <dstoykov AT uni-ruse.bg>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:11:04 +0200

Hello,

> Thank you for figuring this out.
>
> Can you please share the version of openssl that was used for this test?
> Looking at the CAT source code it seems that the command was:
>
> openssl verify -CApath $tmp_dir/root-ca-allcerts/ -purpose any server.pem
>
> but this did verify the certificate in our environment with OpenSSL 1.0.1k
>
> I need this to assess the effect of this problem in the long term. If
> openSSL has become more strict recently, then we should expect issues
> with wpa_supplicant on Linux and Android at least.

Actually, our tests are a bit more thorough than that :-) Before calling
openssl, we download the CRLs from the CRLDP extension of the CA
certificate, if any, and run a full chain verification against CAs and CRLs.

Your chain validation fails because the CRL you have set in your CRLDP:

X509v3 CRL Distribution Points:
Full Name:
URI:http://crl.uni-ruse.bg/eduroam.crl

gets me an expired CRL:

Certificate Revocation List (CRL):
Version 1 (0x0)
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: /C=BG/ST=Ruse/L=Ruse/O=University of
Ruse/emailAddress=support AT uni-ruse.bg/CN=University
of Ruse eduroam CA
Last Update: Oct 8 12:41:54 2014 GMT
Next Update: Nov 7 12:41:54 2014 GMT

... and that's why the chain is broken.

This still won't help you assess how critical the CA extension's
criticality really is, but it is one of the issues you need to fix to
come up clean.

But it does bring up a feature request :-) "Your CA's CRL is expired!"
should be an error condition we should flag in UI on the realm tests.
Noted. :-)

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche