cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate

Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Deyan Stoykov <dstoykov AT uni-ruse.bg>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Realm connectivity test - unable to verify certificate
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:47:23 +0200

I've checked the CA certificate in an offline conversation.

It turns out that the IdP's CA has not marked the basicConstraints:CA =
TRUE as critical.

According to RFC5280, "

Conforming CAs MUST include this extension in all CA certificates
that contain public keys used to validate digital signatures on
certificates and MUST mark the extension as critical in such
certificates. "

So, if speaking RFC-conformance, the CA certificate is not valid and thus is
not an acceptable trust root.

We are not being unnecessarily pedantic in CAT - our checks simply call
"openssl verify" under
the hood, and openssl seems to take this matter rather seriously - it fails
the chain
validation and so we issue the warning that we couldn't reach a proper trust
root (the
wording of the warning is not exactly fitting, admittedly).

I'm a bit surprised that "our" openssl is the only one to find this nit. I
would expect real-life
supplicants to complain as well.

In any case... marking the CA=TRUE basicConstraints extension as
critical will make your CA
certificate more comforting to SSL libraries.