cat-users - Re: [cat-users] University of Milan

Re: [cat-users] University of Milan

  • From: Michele de Varda <michele.devarda AT unimi.it>
  • To: A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk
  • Cc: cat-users AT geant.net, Claudio Lori <claudio.lori AT unimi.it>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] University of Milan
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:02:48 +0100

Sorry, this issue happened because yesterday we changed FreeRADIUS server's certificate and so many users downloaded the new CAT configuration.
Now we put all configuration files locally on the captive portal.

I will ask you another question about certificates: in the new CAT configuration we put only the root certificate (VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5) and in the RADIUS server we put the server certificate (CN=eduroam.unimi.it) and the intermediate certificate chain that contains "Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4" and "VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5" certificates.
The CAT configurator works fine with all Windows Systems, Linux and IOS and MAC OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but we have an auth error with MAC OS X 10.7 and 10.9.
MAC OS X makes different checks on certificate chain?

Thank you for your support,

Michele de Varda
Univ. degli Studi di Milano
Div. Telecomunicazioni

Il 19/03/2015 10:45,
A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk
ha scritto:
Hi,

The connection was blocked only from this IP, behind the captive
portal NAT there were thousand Unimi users that yesterday tried to
download CAT configurator and probably we caused a kind of DoS
attack to cat site.
if you are directing ALL captive portal requests through to cat.eduroam.org
then I'd expect you to
be blocked - thats not friendly and cat.eduroam.org isnt designed or scaled
for such a thing.

alan