cat-users - Re: [cat-users] WIFI : Eduroam - Configurateurs pour Linux et MacOS

Re: [cat-users] WIFI : Eduroam - Configurateurs pour Linux et MacOS

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Emmanuel Viennet <emmanuel.viennet AT univ-paris13.fr>, Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: Petrucci Laure <Laure.Petrucci AT lipn.univ-paris13.fr>, Jean-Christophe Dubacq <Jean-Christophe.Dubacq AT iutv.univ-paris13.fr>, Franck Butelle <franck.butelle AT iutv.univ-paris13.fr>, "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, Christophe Cerin <Christophe.Cerin AT lipn.univ-paris13.fr>, Philippe Werle UP13 <philippe.werle AT univ-paris13.fr>, Bouchaib Khafif <Bouchaib.Khafif AT iutv.univ-paris13.fr>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] WIFI : Eduroam - Configurateurs pour Linux et MacOS
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:11:00 +0100

Hi,

> You're right of course. But crashes are very unfrequent on MacOs (my
> uptime was only 3 weeks because I upgraded the system... 3 weeks ago).
> I can do more testing if needed (I will save my files before).
>
> Eduroam _never_ worked on my machine (neither with OSX 10.8 nor with
> 10.9): when I'm lucky I get "invalid password", otherwise "unknown
> error" or something like that...

I've only seen one Mac ever before which had perpetual problems
connecting to eduroam. That was an oldish Mac who went through an
upgrade path 10.6 -> 10.7 -> 10.8 and in the end whatever I tried did
not end up in a usable setup; sometimes with really hard to believe
error reports while trying to authenticate. Be it with CAT profiles or
Apple Configurator.

You are the second in a long time now. You note that you upgraded your
laptop from a previous version. Could you let us in how long the upgrade
path was in total for this piece of hardware, i.e. with which Mac OS
version did the device ship initially? Also, the bug I saw back then on
the other device was with TTLS-PAP as authentication method. Is that the
same method as in your setup?

I can't really suggest anything from a CAT point of view here; our
profiles are known to work, and other people have tested your very
config and it worked like it does on 10.000s of other installs.

From a computer admin point of view, I would suggest installing 10.9
from scratch again - not an upgrade from earlier versions. If that fixes
the issue, I'd file this under OS upgrade confusion. It does not look
like a bug in CAT.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche