cat-users - Re: [cat-users] IPAD download issue

Re: [cat-users] IPAD download issue

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, aaron street <aaron.street AT pirbright.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] IPAD download issue
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:42:50 +0200

> It looks like Safari presents itself as:
> Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26
> (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25
>
> While the others as:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26
> (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/10B329

Good to know! We also have our own mobileconfig files at RESTENA,
unrelated to eduroam in any way, and I've verified that they suffer the
same problem. Even more so, our access logs show that some users did
come along with the embedded mini-browser; which helps explain some
spurious "it doesn't work!!!" calls we got and couldn't make sense of.

So; let's conclude that the embedded browser is just too buggy to handle
.mobileconfig files - and that a warning to that end on the download
page would be nice.

> The "Safari" string could be used to display a warning to the user (if
> missing)

Apple could also have had the decency of adding an own application tag
to identify the embedded browser by the presence of a string, not its
absence, but well.

> Of course in version 1.1 we will have server-side system recognition
> therefore the user would be shown the proper download link at once.

Meaning... you would check the UA, and if it's the known-broken one,
immediately tell the user "We know you have an i*, but come back with a
real browser please"? Sounds pretty good to me.

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche