cat-users - Re: [cat-users] A question about CAT and my test system

Re: [cat-users] A question about CAT and my test system

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net, ianw AT nerc.ac.uk
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] A question about CAT and my test system
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:33:12 +0100

Hello Ian,

> I am in the process of implementing a home site for the Natural
> Environment Research Council (N.E.R.C.) and I’m about to investigate
> client configuration.

> Is it possible/allowed to set my test systems compliance to “complies
> with home requirements” to obtain a token for Cat and then use in
> testing/producing our web page? Or is Cat only usable for full
> production systems?
>
> Thanks for any advice, as this is all new to me and I need to get a
> proof of concept running ASAP.

From CAT's point of view, there is no need to "cheat" in terms of
production status of your setup. CAT has a method to invite admins-to-be
before they are in full production status - we recognised that the most
value of CAT installers is during the bootstrap phase, so enabling that
use case was one of our major goals.

This is a manual action triggered by the national eduroam administrators
though. In your case, you would need to contact JRS Support / Janet to
request the invitation token from them. They can register your IdP as a
"new" institution and type in the mail address and inst name manually,
as opposed to selecting "existing" institution and choose you from a
dropdown list.

Note that I have no insight how high JRS has set the bar to do that
step; that's up to negotiation between you and them.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1